April 7th is National Beer Day! Now you have an excuse to pour a glass (a vintage glass, of course) of your favorite craft beer and celebrate with friends!
Did You Know?
President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed into law the Cullen-Harrison Act on March 22, 1933. This act repealed prohibition for beer. As of April 7, 1933 people could once more buy, sell and consume beer. The night before was called “New Beer’s Eve”, and on that night, millions of Americans lined up waiting for the stroke of midnight so they could enjoy a tall cold one – or more precisely – 1.5 million barrels of legal beer and ale! Now that was a great celebration for the first National Beer Day! National Beer Day is always celebrated on April 7th.
Pub-Style Pretzels and Beer Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups Warm Water
- 1 packet Active Yeast
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour (will need extra for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Flavored Seasoning of your choice (try McCormick Grill Mates Molasses & Bacon)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a non-stick baking mat on a cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, add yeast to warm water and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in salt and sugar.
- Once mixed, add flour one cup at a time and mix thoroughly until dough is thick and no longer sticky.
- Create a floured surface for kneading, then knead dough for approximately 5 minutes.
- Separate dough into even sections, about six.
- Roll dough into ropes, making width even throughout. Make pretzel shapes by creating a circle with the dough. Twist ends and press down to finish shape.
- On a plate, mix sea salt and seasoning together for sprinkling.
- Beat egg in a small bowl and brush on pretzel tops.
- Place pretzels on baking sheet, and sprinkle salt mixture on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes. After the first 5 minutes, switch to broil. Keep an eye on pretzels to avoid over-browning.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with beer cheese dip, recipe below.
Beer Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of Beer
- 1/2 cup grated Smoked Gouda
- 1/2 cup grated Sharp Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In small saucepan, heat beer on low until it bubbles.
- Slowly whisk in flour, then add cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Add sour cream, mustard and paprika while whisking.
- Add more flour for a thicker sauce, or more beer for a thinner sauce.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Vintage Beer Items from the Vesties
While enjoying your favorite beer, take a peek at these fun beer items from the shops of the Vintage Etsy Society Team. Click the photos below for more information about these items.
Looking for awesome vintage treasures? Shop the shops of the Vintage Etsy Society Team!